"Patta gobhi" means cabbage. "Chana dal" is the split inner kernel of a black chickpea. These are the two main ingredients in the dish--so you can see why it's pretty low calorie! You can buy chana dal at the Indian grocery store; or, Bob's Red Mill also sells it.
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 green chili, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cilantro for garnish (optional)
Recipe (Serves 4):
- Soak the chana dal in warm water for 1 hour. Drain the water and dry the chana dal with a paper towel.
- Finely shred cabbage. Finely mince green chili.
- Add oil and mustard seeds to a wok or deep pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil begins to crackle around the mustard seeds, add the turmeric and green chili. Lower the heat.
- Add the chana dal to the wok and stir to mix. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and salt and stir to mix. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add coriander powder if you want.
- Increase the heat for the last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking the cabbage to make the dish crunchier.
- Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro, and serve.