I used my memories of bhutas as the inspiration for this recipe: a grilled corn summer salad. Not only is the corn in season, but so are the tomatoes and avocados. That makes for a delicious and fresh-tasting salad!
Ingredients (for 2 people):
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- Grill, grill pan, gas stove with accessible flame, or oven
- Aluminum foil
- Remove the ears of corn from the husk and soak in water for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- After soaking, wrap each ear of corn in aluminum foil. Cook the corn on a grill, grill pan, in an oven, or over the flame of a gas stove using tongs. I used a grill pan and set the corn on the pan for roughly 15 minutes.
- While the wrapped corn cooks, chop the tomatoes, green onions, and avocado.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
- If using canned chickpeas, rinse the chickpeas in water.
- Once the corn is cooked, remove it from the foil. Brush the corn with olive oil and place the unwrapped corn back on the grill, grill pan, oven, or open flame in order to char some of the corn kernels.
- Once sufficiently charred, allow the corn to cool.
- Once cool enough to be handled, cut the corn with a knife over a bowl. The kernels will fall right off the ear and into the bowl.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, green onions, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add the salt, lal mirch or cayenne pepper, tamarind chutney, and spicy cilantro chutney. Stir to combine.
- Taste the salad and add more salt, lal mirch, chutney, or lemon juice as needed.
- Add the avocado and gently fold into the salad.