I can't remember a time when my dad was not the first person awake and making chai in the mornings. Even now, when I go back home, my dad always makes a cup of chai for me when I wake up. If he has to leave for work and I'm still asleep, he will make it and leave it for me to drink later.
I figured there is no better way to start this blog than with masala chai, even if this is one Indian item I have been making for several years!
ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsps sugar
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 heaped tsps loose leaf black tea (or 3 teabags)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- pinch of chai masala (optional)
- pinch of cinnamon
- Crush cardamom pods with a mortar and pestle.
- Add water, sugar, cardamom, and ginger into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add tea, cover pot with lid, and bring heat down to low. Leave the pot for four to five minutes.
- After a few minutes, add the milk, chai masala, and cinnamon.
- Bring chai to a boil, being careful that the chai does not boil over.
- Pour chai through a fine mesh strainer into two cups.