Finally, you should dice the chicken into bite-size pieces. As a note, you could also use tofu--just cut the tofu into bite-size pieces and then bake in the oven until firm.
You may also want to add some cilantro, mint, or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice right before serving!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3 tbsp cooking oil (enough to coat the bottom of your pan)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 small onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 chicken breasts (or 1 small package of firm tofu, baked)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- Half of a lemon
- Chop tomatoes and onion. Peel and chop the sweet potato.
- Dice the chicken breast into bite-size pieces (or cut tofu into bite-size pieces and bake until firm).
- Heat the cooking oil, cinnamon stick, and crushed cardamom pods in a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat until the oil starts to crackle around the cinnamon stick and cardamom.
- Add the onion and stir occasionally until the edges of the onion begin to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cover until they are softened. Then mash the tomatoes with a spatula.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, turmeric, and red chili powder to the mixture and stir.
- Add the chicken, lower the heat to medium, and cover with a lid. Cook the chicken until it turns mostly white, stirring occasionally. If using tofu, cook the tofu until slightly browned.
- Add the sweet potato and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander powder and garam masala and stir.
- Add the yogurt to thicken the sauce.
- If necessary, add more salt or red chili powder to taste.
- Optional: Stir in 2 to 4 tbsp of cilantro and mint leaves and squeeze the juice of half a lemon.